Monday, March 23, 2015

40 in 40 2015 week 5

I spent the week really under the weather with a FUO, or Fever of Unkown Origin.  Yes, I went to the doc and as of Friday the lab results point towards some sort of viral infection.  Fortunately by Saturday, after 12 days of fever, I woke up feeling like myself again.  I played catch up towards the end of the week as I didn't really feel up to working on hats at the beginning.  I did manage to get all 6 hats completed though!

Do the Twist was first on my list.  This is the first time I have ever done a top down knit hat.  The designer incorporated a yarn over before every ssk to create the twist, but after I completed about 1/2 the hat I found I didn't like the large hole that left so I frogged it and on the second go around I used a M1 increase instead.  same effect with a smaller hole.  When working the bind off I would recommend using a larger needle and working it VERY losely, otherwise it will be very tight on the baby's head.  (Don't ask how I know!)




This is the Baby Swirls Hat, which is VERY similar to a tawashi.  It finishes up thick and warm, but it is a yarn eater and very monotonous to work.  If you can single crochet, though, you can totally make this hat!











Next was the So Soft Baby Hat.  You will need to join the Lion Brand website to have access to this free pattern, but it is worth the trouble to sign up and membership is free.  I worked 2 i-cords at the top and tied them in a bow rather than the single cord.  Pattern is available in small preemie to large preemie/newborn









This is the Baby Bear hat, a really quick knit using WW yarn.  And I am such a sucker for bear hats!















This is the Serendipity hat.  The pattern is actually for an adult size hat, but with a few modifications I was able to scale it down to newborn size.  To make it I CO 78 using a size 6 set of dpn and Beehive Baby Sports yarn, follow pattern as written until it measures 5 inches from beginning.  Then begin decreases at round 9.  You can use one color as the original designer did, or two as I did here.







And the final hat for the week is titled Seventh.  It is a pretty simple hat to work up using knit and purl stitches to create the pattern.  I used a mystery yarn that I picked up in a bag of mill ends.  I like the striping effect it has, but this pattern also looks beautiful with a solid color.


And that is is for this week.  See you next week!


Until next time,